A winner of a global international lottery usually looks forward to a better future, especially if they take the advice generally available from lottery administrators. The latest lottery news however has thrown up a sad situation in Illinois.
In June 2012, 46-year-old Urooj Khan had travelled to Saudi Arabia on a pilgrimage and, on his return, vowed never to gamble again. But he could not resist one last lottery ticket, which he bought at his local 7-Eleven convenience store. It was a scratch card and he immediately revealed his win in front of the store employee.
Mr. Khan was astonished to find he had won $600,000. Store employee Ashur Oshana told an Associated Press reporter, “He kissed my hand and gave me $100. He was really happy.”
After taxes, Mr. Khan received a cheque from the global international lottery for $425,000 at an Illinois Lottery ceremony soon after. An owner of a small chain of dry cleaner stores, he announced he would put some of the money into his business and some to a children’s hospital.
The cheque for the money was issued on 19 July and was cashed on 15 August 2012. Sadly, Mr. Khan did not enjoy the money: he died on 20 July, the day after receiving the cheque.
The initial cause of death was deemed to be natural but, in a twist worthy of Agatha Christie, a relative put the findings in doubt. A second autopsy was carried out and it was revealed the winner of the global international lottery had died of cyanide poisoning.
Police have now launched a new investigation and are likely to exhume Mr. Khan’s body. Lottery winnings in Illinois normally pass to the relatives.
Perhaps another good reason to keep quiet about a lottery win!
We will try to follow this story in later latest lottery news.