Latest Lottery News Brings Relief to Victim of Stolen Ticket Case

 
 
Whenever a lottery player realizes they have won the jackpot, he or she always finds a safe place to hide to secret the ticket before they can claim their prize. In the latest lottery news this week however one poor winner nearly lost his ticket to an unscrupulous staff member at his local store.

Robert Miles of Syracuse, New York bought a scratch-off ticket in his local convenience store in October 2006. He realized he had won money and recognized the sum was a life-changing $5 million. Shop assistant Andy Ashkar, son of the store’s owners, managed to persuade Miles that he had in fact only won $5000 and offered to buy it off him for $4000.
 

American Convenience Store at Night
 

Strangely the latest lottery news shows that Ashkar waited five years to claim the winnings. In March 2012 he finally turned up at the lottery office and offered to take a lesser amount in return for anonymity.

The lottery authorities smelt a rat and issued a news release to see if anyone else claimed the ticket. Robert Miles contacted the police, who then approached the lottery company on behalf of Miles.

During a long trial, a colleague of Robert Miles, Ramon Rosario, testified that he had been with Miles outside the store when they scratched off the two cards they had bought and that Mile shad become excited when he realized he had won the jackpot. Miles then returned alone into the store. The situation was further complicated by the fact that Miles and Rosario had been using drugs that day.

Ashkar was finally sentenced in July this year to a minimum of eight and a third years with a possible maximum of 25 years for the fraud. Unfortunately Robert Miles’ troubles were not yet over as it was only on the 23 August that the latest lottery news reported that a judge finally decided he was entitled to the winnings.

Miles told the court, “For 6 years I suffered, my family suffered, because I was taken advantage of.”

Ashkar took advantage of the rule that says stores can only pay out up to $600 in winnings and any higher amount has to claimed directly from the lottery administrators.

It is not clear what Robert Miles will do with his winnings but no doubt the latest lottery news will report his intentions. I should imagine he is just relieved that his ordeal is over.
 

Click Now!
 

Big Winners in US Lottery Latest News

 
 
The lottery latest news has brought two interesting stories from America this week. Clearly the Mega Millions and PowerBall lotteries are worth playing.

The first item of lottery latest news comes from the organizers of the Mega Millions draw. According to a press release, the draw is undergoing some changes in October this year; the success of the lottery means moves are underway to increase the number of winners in each prize draw.

The costs of each ticket will remain at $1 but the minimum jackpot will rise from $12 million to $15 million and the weekly rollover will increase by at least $5 million if there are no winners. There will also be changes to the number of balls used in the draw, which means the chances of winning a prize will increase to one in fifteen.
 

Triangular View of Person Filling PowerBall Lottery Form

 
At the same time, in the lottery latest news, a massive jackpot has been drawn in the Powerball draw. On Thursday 8 August 2013 a jackpot of no less than $448 million was drawn.

Three tickets shared this vast sum and as yet one still remains unclaimed.

One of the winners, Paul White, a project engineer from Ham Lake, Minnesota, used to be criticized by his family for playing the lottery but now he has $58.3 million (after taxes) in his bank account, it seems they may change their tune. Paul told reporters “I’ve totally been waiting for this day my entire life.”

The divorced father of two has already employed a lawyer and financial advisor and is looking forward to making previous daydreams reality.

The lottery latest news shows that both the other tickets were sold in New Jersey, the first time in 20 years that two jackpot tickets were sold in the same state, and one was divided between a syndicate of county employees in a maintenance garage.

The 16 Orange County workers waved a replica cheque for $86 million (before taxes) at a press reception and told reporters they were “very happy, happy, happy.”

The area had recently been devastated by Hurricane Sandy so the money is particularly welcome in a community trying to rebuild; one of the winners indeed lost her home to the storm.

Each member of the syndicate will receive $3.8 million (after taxes) and one member, Barbara Jo Riivald, found the win particularly significant as her father had drawn up the legislation creating the state lottery programme.

The group is pretty close-knit and only one is considering leaving work. The lady who lost her home in the storm, Darlene Riccio, told the press conference “It has been an extremely tough year, but when we lost everything, this whole group really pulled together and helped me through.”

We wish all the winners the very best for the future and look forward to hearing more about their good fortune in more lottery latest news.
 

BannerFans.com